You may not heard about muggle quidditch before so don’t confuse it with quidditch played by wizards where everybody can fly. As muggle quidditch players we cannot fly.
The quidditch part may seem a little bit fictional but believe me when I say muggle quidditch is as real as any other sport.
I don’t wanna go too deep into muggle quidditch history. Just know that it was created in 2005 at a college in America and now it is played by over 500 teams in 26 different countries.
“How do you play it if you can’t fly ?!” It’s simple.
BUT, the most important thing you should know before we start: we do have brooms and stick to your brooms guys just stick to your brooms.
- Think of it as a combination of handball, dodge ball and rugby.
- There are 6 hoops: 3 hoops with different heights are placed on either side of the pitch.
- 7 players in each team: 3 Chasers, 2 Beaters, 1 Keeper and 1 Seeker.
- And 5 balls: 1 Quaffle, 3 Bludgers and 1 Snitch.
- Chasers and Keepers can only touch the Quaffle which is basically a deflated volleyball. Their goal is to throw the Quaffle into one of 3 hoops to gain 10 points.
- In addition to this, Keepers need to defend their own hoops like a goal keeper.
- Beaters can only touch the Bludgers. Their goal is to eliminate their opponents by throwing the Bludger to them, like a dodge ball.
- The player who is “knocked out” needs to stop and go back to his/her own hoop in order to get back in the game.
- Seekers enter the game on 17th minute and they don’t interfere the game. Their only interest is the Snitch.
“You catch this the game is over. You catch this Potter and we win.”
- When one teams seeker catches the Snitch, the game ends no matter what. But the Snitch is worth 30 points so it doesn’t guarantee the victory if you’re down by more than 30 points.
- BUT HOW DO YOU DO THE SNİTCH??!
- A person who has a tennis ball in a sock attached to his back, runs away from seekers by doing whatever he wants. He can hit them, knock them out to the ground, even spit at them. But the seekers are not allowed to touch the snitch player.
At the beginning of the game the players must be in front of their own hoops with their brooms down. All three bludgers and the quaffle are placed in the middle of the pitch. And the game starts when the referee says: BROOMS UP !
So this is a really brief explanation of muggle quidditch. There are 10 rule books as it is a sport developping and growing over years.
As for me, I play in my college team named Crows which is founded at the beginning of this school year. I play as a Chaser. We are in a league and at the end the first 3 teams will go to Europe Championship in Vienna. Wish us luck !